Friday, April 30, 2010

Mother, May I Have Some Fresh Produce?



YES YOU MAY!

A few year back my mother did something quite interesting. She announced (after hearing an NPR story), that she didn't want to receive anymore material presents. She only wanted poetry. And so yeah, at first it's like, SCORE! Of course though, what does it entail to send one's mother a different poem for every gift-type occasion? It is definitely less expensive than buying a gift, but does require a level of thoughtfulness that purchasing a little something may not. I often begin "shopping" for the poem a couple of weeks prior to the occasion. The poem I choose hopefully not only says something about our present moment--our now--but also should say something to her, and maybe even something about me. (Mother's day is on the horizon! May 9th). I should probably begin looking now.

Last year I sent this elegant and simple untitled poem to my mother for Mother's Day by Gwendolyn Brooks. She was the first African American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize, which she did in 1949 in the poetry category. Most think that it was Alice Walker for The Color Purple who earned this distinction in 1982. Thanks to my mom, I learned the correct trivia answer.

Exhaust the little moment. Soon it dies.
And be is gash or gold it will not come 
Again in this identical disguise.
~Gwendolyn Brooks

That said, (and with the color purple in mind) isn't the spring gloriously delicate? It is like the mirror image of the Fall, yet with a delicate and pastel motherly sensibility. I've been out with my camera, and so why don't I share the spring with you a bit:





May is a month of goddesses. It is a month of mothers. It is named for the Roman Goddess Maia who is celebrated both on the 1st, May Day, and the 15th. Of course to make it more confusing there is a Greek Maia who was the mother of Hermes, and then there is Gaia who was the Greek mother of us all. Gaia was born of Chaos and is the earth personified. She is the mother of everything. Speaking of Gaia, I visited her. Would you like to see where some of your local organic produce comes from? Here is Peaceful Belly Farm in Hidden Springs just over the hill from us. It is 70 acres of Gaia's goodness! 



I'll be introducing them formally to you soon. In the mean time check out my first farm tour profile on Tim Sommer and Purple Sage Farms. And. . .

The new produce season is here!

It is spring! Eat green shoots! Appreciate your mother. You only have this one moment--it'll be gone before you know it.

I recommend a Mother's Day brunch! Let's say. . . Organic Asparagus, Baby Broccoli, Green Onions, Local H and H Tomatoes (yes they are here!), maybe some Ballard Family Cheese, and one of our local delicious breads. Don't forget the local eggs. You know that Earl gets his chicken feed scrap from the Produce Department, right? Those chickens are fed as well our customers, and so those eggs, Ourada Family Ranch eggs, are GOOD! All our local eggs are good.

Wait. That is something. Have you ever tried Roben's fresh juice? It is delicious. Roben Latham, the Produce Manager (and my wonderful boss) juices most days and stocks an array of fresh organic vegetable juices in the Produce Department juice cooler. It is treat from our produce mother to you. Give it shot. They're great!

love your moms!

In joy!
~Douglas Bolles