Thursday, April 1, 2010

April in Produce: Earth Day, Kale and Hamlet

By Doug Bolles, our Produce Philosopher

Now I don't want to make Much Ado About Nothing, but did you know that Keanu Reeves played Hamlet in Winnipeg? I know. Not only that, an English critic stated that his Hamlet was one of the top three that he has ever seen. I can see that you are befuddled. What does this have to do with produce?

After a winter of being trapped in your house isn't it great to get outside? I know in my family, Easter is the first opportunity of the season for the whole family to get together and let all the cousins go out of control together. Like Keanu, they get to exit the Matrix. Not plugged into movies or video games. Outside. The natural world reborn. One fun thing that I like doing to the kids, is sneaking Organic Kumquats from the Boise CoOp into their Easter Baskets. We just pop the whole thing in our mouths like a candy treat and chew for a sweet and tart, candy-like ride. So yummy without the guilt!
So besides Easter this Sunday, what else happens in this "Diamond" of a month?
 
 
I suppose it is Earth Day that has got me feeling like Hamlet. As you may well have experienced in my previous writing, I question things. In fact, it is likely my mission to consider this question, "How Shall I Live?" Earth Day, hopefully answers that question, and brings a level of awareness of our impact upon the planet. The Boise Co-op also shares this mission of cultivating an awareness of the impact of our lifestyles upon the planet.


Of course, this stuff will make you crazy! Just ask Hamlet. So Hamlet's "issue" was his indecision. He could see what was wrong with the kingdom (his uncle murdered his father and married his mother), but he was caught between his morals and action. His indecision eventually destroyed him--just like we were warned last Valentines Day in Parzival!

"If vacillation dwell with the heart the soul will rue it."

I sometimes feel like Hamlet. How can one "enjoy" life when a lot of what we do is harmful to the very place we live? Well, that's why I'm at the Boise Co-op, I guess. Our goal here is to be aware of what we do. We want to act based on sound principles. We want to live the good life, but we want to support "Mom" in the process. My wife tends to think that she can always have her cake and eat it, too. And this thought has put me into a Hamlety bind more than a few times, but more often than not it is true for her. See, Hamlet is an "either/or", but my wife is an "and."

A piece of advice given in Hamlet, from Polonius to his son is, "This above all: to thine own self be true,". And I guess what I'm trying to tell you, is that you can eat great AND be healthy! You can have a succulent, rich dinner AND save the world! We have a community of local farmers here who are acting! They have considered our modern agribusiness, and have gone their own way, being true to themselves and to our earth and community. I traveled Middleton recently and met one of our local growers: Tim Sommer at Purple Sage Farms. 
 
 
I will write about him soon for the website. Until then, I recommend you trying everything he sells. It is all fabulous. He grows in 12 large green houses and so his spring product is here now!  
 
 
 
Do try his local, organic salad mix. It is so good, so complex, and wonderful to taste! He also currently is selling a delicate, baby Red Russian Kale that I could eat raw. The complex flavors of his greens befits a prince, like Hamlet!
 
 
 
Part of his closed-loop, small agricultural system includes feeding grass to goats which he turns into fertilizer for his organic herbs. Look for more about Tim soon! And I will continue my farm tour as the spring blossoms.
 
 

-No, the above "skull" with Tim in the garden does not belong "poor Yorick", but my son Olie is a man of "infinite jest"!




Oh yeah, Shakespeare died on the 23rd of April, and so that's the inspiration for all my "To be or not be. . ." this month.

Lots of good stuff for you in produce! Come often. Stop and chat. This is your community. Eat More Kale!
 
Have a great month from your friends in produce!


~Douglas Bolles (your local "Hamlet")