Monday, March 1, 2010
Meet Caitlyn Davies, the Boise Co-op Gluten Free Gal!
A majority of us are familiar with the perils of gluten intolerance or allergies- even Celiac disease is a common topic. Most of us have heard about going gluten free. How to go gluten free is another matter. In order to make this transition as easy as it can be, we have begun an ongoing list of our gluten free items, and have compiled a resource guide with local and national sources for gluten free living. We are even going to offer gluten free store tours in order to help you familiarize yourself with where everything is! This program officially launches with our March 3 Gluten Free Cooking Class through the Boise Co-op Culinary Education Program!
Are you curious if you are gluten intolerant or sensitive? Some common symptoms of a gluten sensitivity or allergy include (but aren't limited to) stomach upset, diarrhea or constipation, joint aches, Fibromyalgia, depression and/or anxiety, eczema, malnutrition, iron deficiency, weight loss or gain, fatigue, behavioral issues such as anger and irritability and even infertility or repeated miscarriage. Because a gluten allergy/ intolerance may look like other disorders, its crucial to get tested. In addition, wheat allergy is different than a wheat intolerance, and that is different than Celiac disease. Getting a proper diagnosis is crucial.
Left unchecked, a food allergy can lead to very seroius health complications later, including malnutrition, auto immune disorders and even some forms of cancer. That being said, what's worse than being miserable all the time? Prevention is much easier than a cure. Most people who avoid wheat find an immediate difference in wellness. Even if you don't have an allergy to wheat, expanding your knowledge base of how to live without benefits your nutritional standing since in our culture we tend to rely too heavily on breads and carbs for that easy energy boost and instant comfort.
Most of us aren't so keen on getting out of our comfort zones, and going gluten free definitely requires that. Being gluten free for more than three years has truly benefitted my life. It was incredibly challenging in the beginning and frustrating, to say the least. However, going without gluten has restored my quality of life. I knew I was miserable but I didn't appreciate how much until I started to have days without tummy discomfort, body aches, crushing depression and fatigue. I completely underestimated how ill I actually was and how much energy went into just getting through the day. I have also learned so much about nutrition, food and my emotional attachment to it. I am healthier now in so many ways because I learned to “do it differently”. That is what being gluten free is all about.
Here at the Co-op, our main goal is to help our customers live well. Its our sincere hope that with our help, going gluten free or just educating yourself about gluten will be easier and more efficient. Beginning March 15, please stop by Customer Service to pick up a Gluten Free Resource Guide or schedule a tour.
Take care of you and live well!
Caitlyn, your Gluten Free Gal
