By Sylvie Ryan, Boise Co-op Culinary Educator
We all have to handle so much these days, it is amazing that we manage to put dinner on the table at all. Eating out or grabbing take-out is not always an affordable option, and frankly it's not so healthy for our families, either. In this second installment of The Cook's Pantry, I want to focus on those dry goods and canned items that are great to always have around so you'll never be without the things you need to cook a good meal at home.
Try keeping a small whiteboard near your refrigerator, so the entire family can help keep the shopping list up to date. I have one and use it all the time. I also print out the basic list I talked about in Part One of this series, which makes it easy to remember what I need. Just a little planning is all it takes to make shopping nearly stress free!
Here's what I keep in my pantry at all times:
Rice: The type of rice you like to use is really just a matter of taste, I tend to prefer brown rice. It does take a bit longer to cook, so I invested in a rice cooker. It makes it very easy, you just put your rice and water in and turn it on, and then you can forget about it while working on other items to prepare without worrying about burning it. It also ensures that the rice comes oout perfectly cooked. The Co-op has a large selection of rice in their bulk section. Have you ever tried the Jade bamboo rice, very unique flavor and unusual gren color.
Pasta: All kinds of pasta. I make a pasta dinner at least once a week.
Flour: Whole wheat and white. It is essential to have flour on hand at all times for baking.
Corn Meal: I love corn bread because I make chili regularly, but it goes with any soups or salads. Try baking corn muffins, it is different way to serve corn bread and kids love it. You can even make mini muffins and serve them on top of you chili with cheese.
Crackers: These make a quick snack with cheese and fruits. I love Ryvita brand, they are hearty but yet still delicate, and of course whole grain so good for you!
Couscous: This grain is extremely versatile, I use it to make couscous salad or serve it hot, mixed with spices and fresh vegetables. It cooks so quickly too.
Oatmeal: Steel- cut is best! It makes a delicious and nutritious breakfast,. You can cook enough in advance and save it it your refrigerator for days at hand. Just add a little bit of milk and eat it up in you microwave. Don't forget oatmeal cookies!
Quinoa: As versatile as couscous, and very high in protein. Try making quinoa risotto, so easy and delicious.
For Baking: Always check that you have baking soda and baking powder. I also make sure I have non-processed sugars available.
Pasta Sauce: I like to have a couple of jars of high quality pasta sauces, whether tomato ot cream base. Add bread and a salad and voilà, you have a complete dinner in no time, for those even busier days.
Solid White Tuna: Excellent for sandwiches or Niçoise salad.
Organic Soups: I always like to have a couple on hand, including my favorite, chicken noodle soup. It is one of the most comforting.
Beans (all kinds): They make a quick Mexican chili or casserole. I also like to have Garbanzo bean available to make a quick and easy hummus.
Tomatoes: Sauce and Paste, as well as crushed Tomatoes and Pizza Sauce. I love to make pasta sauce and pizza.
Organic Broth: Chicken and vegeatable. For soups of course, but I sometines use it for rice and couscous, or for a risotto.
Nuts and Dried Fruits: For salads, pasta or snacks. I usually have almonds, pine nuts and walnuts in my pantry. I love cranberries and currants. You should check out the organic dried fruit selection at the Co-op, it is amazing ! Have you ever tried their organic currants? They taste incredible on anything, even yogurt!
I think that covers my pantry basics. It is, of course, adaptable to your needs. In Part 3, I will talk about my freezer and refrigerator.
Preparing healthy meals is the best way to bond with family and friends. Get everyone involved and watch the magic happen! Bon appétit!
