By Sylvie Ryan, our Culinary Educator
I think we've most definitely earned our fair share of the beautiful, sunny days of Boise! Especially after what seemed like an endless rainy spring. What I love most about summer is changing the way I cook and eat, preferring lighter dishes and eating salads daily. I also particularly like making chilled soups! Any classics such as Gazpacho, Cucumber, and Pea with Mint, to the more unusual Cantaloupe or Avocado soups. Today, I want to highlight one that always surprises my taste buds, mainly because it is so rich, creamy and incredibly refreshing, but also because its preparation and ingredients are so unassuming and humble in their simplicity!
The vichyssoise, despite the French sounding name, did not originate in France, but rather it might have made its debut as a cold soup at the Ritz-Carlton in New York around 1917. The basic ingredients are of a very classic Leek and Potato Soup, typically served hot and also called Potage Parmentier.
Vichyssoise
Cold Leek and Potato Soup
For 6 to 8 people
3 cups peeled, sliced Potatoes
3 cups sliced whit of Leek
1 ½ quarts of white stock, chicken stock, or canned chicken stock (I prefer to use a good quality organic stock, whether vegetable or chicken)
Salt to taste
½ to 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 to 3 Tbsp minced Chives for garnish
Simmer the vegetables in stock, partially covered for 40 to 50 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Purée the soup either in the electric blender, or through a food mill and then through a fine sieve.
Stir in the cream. Season to taste, oversalting very slightly as salt loses savor in a cold dish. Chill (overnight is best)
Serve in chilled soups cups and decorate with minced chives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is a note from Julia Child regarding this recipe from her Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook:
"Leek and Potato soup smells good, tastes good, and is simplicity itself to make. It is also versatile as a soup base; add watercress and you have a watercress soup, or stir in cream and chill it for a vichyssoise. To change the formula a bit, add carrots, string beans, cauliflower, broccoli, or anything else you think would go with it, and vary the proportions as you wish."
